The 5 Best Exercises For Diabetic Feet
The 5 Best
When you have diabetes, one of the best things you can do to manage your condition is exercise. Sure, it can be hard to muster up the motivation to get moving, especially when you’re dealing with symptoms like burning and numbness in your feet, but guess what? The more you move, the less you’ll experience those symptoms!
Exercising with diabetes has a host of benefits. It boosts circulation, helps keep glucose levels in check, helps you maintain a healthy weight, improves balance, and lowers risk of other health issues like heart disease. The key, though, is exercising safely, so before you start, make sure you have a clean bill of health and a good pair of well-fitting shoes appropriate for the activity. Also, stay hydrated, pack a diabetic snack, and ease into it gradually. Now the question is, “What type of exercise is best?” Here are the top choices when it comes to exercises for diabetic feet:
- Walking – it’s easy, low-impact, and you can do it anywhere!
- Yoga or Tai Chi – slow and relaxed movements and poses build strength, improve balance, and reduce stress.
- Lifting weights – building strength is great, especially in combination with an aerobic activity.
- Swimming – a low-impact, total body workout, swimming is a fun and fantastic option
- Stationary Biking – you get the benefit of biking without the risk of a fall
One last tip: Pick something you enjoy. You’ll be more likely to stick to an exercise routine if you’re doing something you love! Take that yoga class, join the gym, set a walking date with a friend – whatever sounds good to you!
For more tips on exercising with diabetes, or if you need any help with diabetic foot care, don’t hesitate to call our Houston, TX office at (281) 497-2850.
14441 Memorial Drive, Suite #16
Houston, TX 77079
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00AM to 3:00PM